Thursday 21 June 2018

Impermanence 11

The theme for this week is 'rituals', framed as the start of really celebrating impermanence (for an explanation of this project, see here).

The week's prompt talks about 'celebrating beginnings, endings and transitions through ritual' as a form of celebrating impermanence. This doesn't connect for me . . . I really don't like deliberate of contrived 'rituals'. I take little notice of my birthday, my religious observance is as an 'unprogrammed Quaker', I don't design rituals for times in my life, and I hate anything that looks like a party . . . I'm one of the world's introverts.

But I do notice the natural rhythms of nature - daily, monthly (the moon), seasonally, annually . . . and cosmically (eclipses, conjunctions, etc). And of course I am, in some ways, a creature of habit, as we all are. So for 'rituals' this week, I have taken some of these.

First, my morning rituals/habits . . . one of the joys, for me, of being retired from paid employment is that I am no longer a slave to the early start and the morning commute. Even after five and a half years this is still a daily, conscious pleasure.

I open my bedroom curtains and take a few minutes to look at my garden, just a little different each day:


And then beyond my garden to the patch of allotments on the other side of the hedge, where I have a share in a plot (although I can't see my plot from my window). There is daily change there, too, and sometimes there is someone already working early in the day:


And then I sit downstairs by the window to my garden, with the first cup of tea of the day, and the newspaper (in electronic form on my Kindle):


Followed by ten minutes meditation (I'm enjoying using the Headspace app):


Later in the day . . . my sitting room faces west, over the allotments, so there is an open aspect and plenty of visible sky. I always watch the evening skies, and this week there have been some wonderful sunsets:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive