Thursday 14 June 2018

Impermanence 10

The theme this week is 'the rhythm of life' (for an explanation of this project, see here).

. . . but I've been a little discombobulated by this because the reflections we were sent, to prompt our photos this week, were all about the solstice, the zenith of the light, the subsequent decline into the dark . . . in fact everything that I was reflecting on here two weeks ago!

So I've been wondering how to reflect on the 'rhythm of life' differently . . .

I took one photo of the sky, of late near-solstice sunset, because I was really struck by the curved shape of the cloud, looking like a bowl, and it reminded me of Rumi's lines:

I took it as a sign to start singing,
falling up into the bow of the sky.




And then I thought about the organic rhythm of life and - at the time of year especially - of flowering and fruiting in my garden: apples swelling, redcurrants ripening, alpine strawberries ready to eat, hazelnuts just forming, blackberries flowering for autumn harvest . . .



And for a little cosmic rhythm, I photographed my sundial, with the short sharp shadows of the middle of the day at this time of year:



I'm hoping for the clouds to part one evening in the next few days . . . if they do, I can add a picture of a greater cosmic rhythm: a sliver of young moon close to a bright Venus in the western sky at sunset . . .

. . . . .

Some days later . . . by the time we had clear evening skies, the moon and Venus were no longer anywhere near each other . . . so no cosmic rhythm photo!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive