Monday 6 February 2023

Sunset in a mackerel sky

A clear, bright, sunny day was giving way to evening as cloud cover started, creating a striking mackerel sky and an impressive sunset. When it started, I was on the wrong side of the house to see it, so by the time I became aware of the sky, I knew I had maybe two minutes remaining before it all faded. I grabbed the nearest camera, found the keys for the back door, and went out in my slippers, not losing time by changing my shoes. 

Then I did something completely new for me: because time was so short, I turned the camera controls to the 'sunset' option in 'Scenes'. On the camera I was using (Sony Rxiii) that automatically switched me from RAW to JPEG output, with the camera's compression algorithm coming into play.

When I came to process the images in Lightroom, I really noticed the difference - definitely less control over the results. So, it was an experiment prompted by the circumstances, that I won't seek to repeat.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive