Wednesday 7 August 2019

Voyage North - a photo essay: (15) leaving Kangerlussuaq

We sailed away from Kangerlussuaq in the early evening, and straight after dinner, I changed into warm clothes and went back out on deck. It was a delight to see the fjord in daylight, and to see it with the light behind us, rather than sailing directly towards the sun.






There were patterns in the ice, not visible in the dimmer light of late night:


Parts of the icecap were revealed, more than we had seen the previous day:


Basalt patterns in the rock, showing evidence of ancient geological upheavals:


Ice clinging to the truncated side of hanging valley, like an illustration from a geography textbook about glaciation:


As during the previous night, how would I decide how late to stay out on deck? I couldn't manage another all-nighter! I thought: we're sailing out of the fjord, we're going south (at this point, actually SW), it will get quite dark at some point, and we'll turn south into the open ocean . . .  when we left the fjord, I would go to bed. It turned out to be not quite so simple - the coastline was dramatic and beautiful . . . but it was distant, becoming shrouded in mist, the cloud was gathering, the light was failing. I watched for some time through my cabin window (I was on the port side, so I had the view) but this was the first and only photograph that was viable in the diminishing light:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive