Wednesday 21 November 2018

30 Days of Perception: (2) 'Seeing' - days 16-20

This is the fourth post in the 'Perception' series. Earlier posts, including explanation of the project, are here(1), here(2), and here(3).


Day 16 - Inbetween (being between places or actions or events)

This alleyway is called, rather delightfully, 'Needless Alley'!

Between the sides of the alleyway, walking between place and place

Day 17 - Perspective (different perspectives, viewpoints)

I've included so far quite a few photos taken looking down the length of my garden from an upstairs window . . . so, here are images from ground level, at the other end of the garden, looking either towards the back of the house, or sideways to the lateral boundaries.


And I noticed from these photos that my sundial is wonky and needs straightening!

Day 18 - Subtle




Day 19 - Curiosity and Compassion (steady gaze, not looking away)

This tiny (< 1 cm) creature breathed its last on the edge of my bathtub



Day 20 - The Field (seeing the entire field, with everything in it having equal importance)

The explanation for this prompt included the following:
Every season I go for what I call a 'blur walk'. This is one of my favourite exercises, one that helps me see beyond the labels we put on 'things'. In blur mode, your everyday surroundings become impressions – colours, shapes, light circles, etc. You see the entire field and how everything fits together. It’s a whole new world.
This made me smile: all my life I have been very short-sighted and also very astigmatic.  'Blur' is what I have lived with for 60+ years whenever I take my glasses off! But it's a dangerous state - I'm not safe to boil a kettle, let alone go outside, cross the road, etc. So, instead, for this prompt, I opted for the kind of awareness of 'everything' that leads me to think: 'this is something for which it's worth getting out the wide-angle lens.'


1 comment:

  1. As always, very thoughtful responses. Thanks for sharing. I like how you did the perspective exercise with your whole garden not one particular object. And, as for the blur walk, good for you for adapting it to your purposes. I hope you;re having fun.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive