Monday 24 December 2018

Christmas Eve

I have processed and posted these photos while listening to the Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College Chapel in Cambridge. I am one of the millions around the world for whom this annual live broadcast marks the beginning (and, actually, the best part!) of Christmas. Fifty years ago today I was, along with half a dozen friends, among the people queuing from very early in the morning to be admitted to the chapel to be part of the occasion. It's the only time I've done that, but the memory is refreshed every year when I hear the radio broadcast.

This morning started off misty, and then a pale winter sun burnt through the fog, with - surprisingly - enough heat in it to steam the moisture off the wooden fence panels . . . waves of vapour rising and glowing slightly in the low sun. The garden was briefly bathed in beautiful light and reflected in droplets of water . . . and all unseasonably and worryingly mild. The images below include a hellebore flower in bud too early, and buds on my cherry tree that are too far advanced already.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive