Saturday 22 September 2018

Liverpool (4): Iron Men and Terracotta Warriors

On my second day I went to Liverpool's World Museum to see the exhibition: China's First Emperor and the Terracotta Warriors. Here the photographic challenge was low lighting levels and forbidden use of flash. With every attempted photo, my camera asked me to please turn on the flash. More interestingly, its automated face recognition immediately focussed on the warriors' faces.

After a day spent with the iron men, meeting the terracotta warriors made me think a lot about Golems - the creatures in Jewish folklore, animated and humanoid, magically created from inanimate matter (usually clay or mud): Golem, Warrior, Sculpture, Frankenstein's Monster, Robot . . . these figures have an ancient and abiding fascination (sometimes macabre) for us.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive